Surgical Management of Childhood Intussusception and its Outcome in DHQ Teaching Hospital, D. I. Khan

Akhtar Munir, Sheikh Qais Falah, Dastageer Waheed


Background: Intussusception is the commonest cause of intestinal obstruction in children. It can be managed by non-operative reduction or surgically. This study was conducted to assess our experience with surgical management of childhood intussusception and its outcome.

Material & Methods: A retrospective study of the medical records of admitted cases of childhood intussusception from 1st January 2007 to 31st December 2010, in District Headquarter Hospital, Dera Ismail Khan was undertaken.

Results: Out of 50 cases, 31(62%) were male and 19(38%) female. The age range was 3 months to 10 years. Majority of the cases (60%) presented with the classic triad of vomiting, abdominal pain and rectal bleeding. After resuscitation, all the patients were operated upon. In 20 patients (40%), manual reduction with appendisectomy was done while in the remaining 30(60%) patients, resection and end to end anastomosis was done. Post-operative complications occurred in 14% of cases. Four (8%) developed wound infection, 1(2%) pneumonia, 2(4%) incisional hernia, and one patient died due to septicemia.

Conclusion: The surgical management of intussusception has good outcome in outcome in our setting.

Full Text:



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2020 Akhtar Munir, Sheikh Qais Falah, Dastageer Waheed

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Gomal Medical College, Daraban Road, Dera Ismail Khan, Pakistan

ISSN: 1819-7973, e-ISSN: 1997-2067


Phone: +92-966-747373

Scimago Journal & Country Rank